Over the past century, the Holy Spirit has been poured out in movements like Azusa Street, the 1920’s Signs and Wonders, in 1948 the Latter Rain Movement, and in 1967 the global Charismatic Renewal overlapping with the Jesus People Movement. Let’s also consider the Argentine Revival, Chinese House Church Explosion and the Third Wave Movement in the 1980’s and beyond. We can also add in the historic outpourings of the Holy Spirit in the Toronto Blessing, Brownsville Revival, and so others.
Now, God Is Pouring Out The Prophetic 2.0
On the Day of Atonement in 2014, the Lord audibly spoke to me and said, “The seeds that the seers and prophets sowed a generation ago have now come into maturation and fruition. Therefore, I will release again the gift of a detailed word of knowledge creating an atmosphere of awe, wonder and the fear of the Lord.”
Did you catch that? The Lord wants to create an atmosphere of awe, wonder and fear of the Lord through the release of an increase in the Gifts of the Holy Spirit demonstrated in new levels. The Body of Christ must learn to cooperate together and stop promoting the political spirit and its control structures. This sounds like a perfect recipe for a Great Harvest!
The church is now ready for upgrades in the prophetic gifts. Things that were in their infancy stages years ago will now be taken to the next level. It time for the Prophetic 2.0!
Key Scriptures for The Prophetic 2.0
- Isaiah 43:19
“Behold, I will do a new thing. Now it shall spring forth; Shall you not know it? I will even make a road in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.”
- Isaiah 55:10-11 NIV
“As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater so is my word that goes out from my mouth: it will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.”
- Numbers 11:29
“But Moses said to him, ‘Are you jealous for my sake? Would that all the Lord’s people were prophets, that the Lord would put His Spirit upon them!’”
- Acts 3:19-21
“Therefore repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord; and that He may send Jesus, the Christ appointed for you, whom heaven must receive until the period of restoration of all things about which God spoke by the mouth of His holy prophets from ancient time.”
- I Corinthians 14:1-3
“Pursue love, yet desire earnestly spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries. But one who prophesies speaks to men for edification and exhortation and consolation.”
A Brief History of the Modern Prophetic Movement
Signs, wonders and revelatory activity as recorded in Acts 2 mark the birthday of the church under the New Covenant. “When the day of Pentecost had fully come…” there were manifestations of wind, fire, gifts of the Holy Spirit, conviction and conversion following the preaching of Good News. The prophetic promises as recorded in the book of Joel were having their initial fulfillment. But it is time for the Greater Works to come forth.
Throughout church history, there have been ebbs and flows of Holy Spirit activity, revivals and awakenings. The following is a brief glance at the history of expressions of the modern Prophetic Movement over the past 120 years.
- 1904–1908 — Topeka, Kansas and Azusa Street Outpouring restores the baptism in the Holy Spirit with the gift of speaking in tongues.
- 1920’s — The Signs and Wonders Movement emerges using both men and women in ministry.
- 1948 — 2 streams of the prophetic emerge: 1) the Latter Rain Movement and 2) the Healing and Deliverance Crusades as the nation of Israel has a rebirth.
- 1967 — 3 international streams of the Holy Spirit come forth: 1) Charismatic Renewal, 2) Jesus People Movement and 3) the Messianic Movement.
- 1980’s — The prayer movement goes global while the Third Wave Movement crashes in upon traditional mindsets that previously promoted cessationism.
- 1988 — There is a rebirth of the Prophetic Movement in two primary locations: Kansas City, MO and the pan handle of Florida with distinctions of the Seers and the Prophets spreading to multiple equipping centers around the globe.
- 1994 — The Toronto Blessing is poured out followed by the Brownsville Revival with massive global activity creating new centers and understandings of wineskins.
- 2004 and Beyond — A fresh worship movement emerges while the Apostolic Reformation takes shape as the prophetic moves into the marketplace.
- 2014–2018 — As we celebrated the 500th anniversary of the Great Reformation, the 4th Wave of the Holy Spirit begins emphasizing transformation.
- TODAY! — It is the time of the Convergence of the Ages channeling empowered believers towards a Great Harvest.
Applications from Previous Prophetic Movements
Earlier prophetic movements focused primarily on the following expressions of the prophetic gift and ministry.
- Prophetic Presbytery
3 or 4 gifted elders functioned in a team ministering prophetically over a selected group of believers.
- Singing in the Spirit
Congregations sang corporately in the gift of tongues to create an atmosphere of the manifested presence of God.
- Personal Prophecy Restored
In addition to the inspirational gift of prophecy, individual personal words termed “personal prophecy” were restored, released and multiplied.
- Platform Ministry Was the Primary Expression
Even though the prophetic gifts were being restored, the primary applications were restricted to those who were sovereignly gifted—for the few, not the many.
Changes Within the Last Generation
Many changes have occurred in our understanding and applications concerning the revelatory gifts over the last generation.
- The Emergence of the Prophetic in Four Distinct Levels
These levels are: a) Spirit of Prophecy; b) Gift of Prophecy; c) Ministry of Prophecy; and d) Office of a Prophet.
- The Emergence of The Seer and The Prophet
Rather than being in suspicion and competition, these two divergent streams of the Holy Spirit began to value and appreciate one another. A culture of honor which cherishes diversity begins to form
- The Emergence of Men and Women Together
Previously, women were rarely released into leadership positions; therefore, women did not even participate in prophetic presbyteries. Today room is being made for women in both ministry and leadership in every form of prophetic ministry.
- The Emergence of Joining the Generations
Instead of competing with one another, especially in the realm of the old prophets versus the young prophets, today we have the joining of generations. Fathers and mothers of the prophetic are recognized.
- The Emergence of True Voices Confronting the Religious Spirit
As the Third Wave Movement emerged, the religious spirit was exposed and a measure of cleansing came within the church. This in turn released greater freedom and expression in the prophetic movement at large.
A Template for the Future
Much change has already taken place. But where are we headed? What does this coming church quake look like? What are some of the characteristics of the Prophetic 2.0?
- Political Spirit is Being Exposed
- Elitism and Control Structures are Being Confronted
- A New Prophetic Language based out of the heart of Love Comes Forth
- Kingdom Consultants are empowered to go from the Church to the World
- ATM – a healthier Apostolic Team Ministry forms
- Fear-Based Eschatology is Replaced by a Glorious Eschatology
- 7 Spirits of God are Released into the 7 Cultural Mountains
We shift from a culture of protectionism into a true second apostolic age of the church where believers become empowered by the Holy Spirit and are “sent ones”. It is no longer only about a few highly gifted leaders, but it is now about sending forth a loving army of God walking in the character of Christ, demonstrating signs and wonders to fulfill the Great Commission.
A Time when Revelation 5:6 Becomes a Guiding Passage
“Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it has been slain, standing in the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. He has seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent out into all the earth.”
Prayer of Positioning for Ourselves for The Prophetic 2.0
Father, we are grateful for new beginnings and the period of time called the “restoration of all things” spoken by the holy prophets of old. We declare that we go from glory to glory in Christ Jesus. We are thankful for the opportunity as individuals, churches and ministries for the entire global prophetic movement to move into a broader, deeper and purer release of the prophetic. We declare it is time for The Prophetic 2.0 to come forth. May we grow in revelation, wisdom and application as we set our aim towards the end time great harvest to share the love of Jesus with the world. Amen and Amen!